View Single Post
Old 16-09-16, 23:34
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Chris. I just noticed the 120 V terminal to the right of the table is not the standard issue one, which is much chunkier looking with one round terminal in the middle. Also a couple of odd looking brackets stuck on the front wall.

I am beginning to wonder if this photo perhaps originated at Wilson, the maker of these Wireless boxes.

Ford kept an extensive photo documentation file of all sorts of installations, mods, etc related to their UC production. Could be that Wilson ddi a similar thing with their wireless boxes, documenting new equipment, changes, mods etc as production evolved.

David
It may well be a demonstration/training or test vehicle. It's certainly not complete in the photograph.

I'm beginning to reconsider my "Not a WS52" statement in the light of those "brackets" on the wall. They're "Shock absorbers, Bridge" as used on the WS19 carrier mounts, and are there to prevent a taller radio from tearing the carrier mounts off during acceleration and braking. The British WS19HP had an 'L' shaped bracket that fitted the top of the RF Amplifier No.2 and then attached to a shock mount on the rear wall. This pair look to be the correct spacing for a single large set and I'm wondering if it was the WS9 or WS52.
If so, the wider clamps take the set carrier - which is different to the WS19 type and has shock absorbers built into it - and it would clear the WS19 clamps fairly easily, I think.

I would NOT like to be the person installing a WS52, unless you were allowed to remove all the units from the case, install the carrier and case as a starting point and then populate it with the electronics. Otherwise you'd need an engine crane to lift the beast.

So, combination WS19 or WS52 depending on requirements.

The clamps for the battery trays are 'J' shaped threaded rods with steel angle strips (with the last inch or so of angle removed to give clearance for the wing nuts). Lower the batteries into place and connect up, place the hold-down strips (with threaded rods) on top, hook the rods into the tray 'nubs' and tighten the wingnuts to clamp the batteries in place. The two trays would take four batteries between them for the WS19, I don't know about the WS52 requirements - may have been one much bigger battery each for that?

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 25-02-17 at 12:28. Reason: Formatting. Changed 'toa' to 'to a' for readability.