View Single Post
Old 04-02-09, 17:40
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Buffaloes carrying SD&G Highrs

Hi Mike;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
... I have persistent rumours that the SD&G may have been hauled ashore in Normandy in them ...
The first time that the SD&G was transported in or used the Buffalo was during the amphibious assault by the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade across the mouth of the Braakman Inlet on the night of 8/9 October 1944. The Buffalos were manned by members of the 5th Assault Regiment, Royal Engineers. At that time, the Arm of Service marking of the 5th Assault Regiment, R.E. was: Serial ‘1233' in white on a cobalt blue background, the Formation sign used was that of the 79th British Armoured Division (carried in the normal positions front and rear). Other markings found on their Buffalos were numerical markings which identified the user ‘Troop’ and the number of the vehicle within that Troop, i.e.: 3C - No. 3 Troop, third vehicle, these were carried ‘centrally’ located (high up) on either side and on the front and rear of the vehicle. These numbers and letters were in white. There is also evidence that 'tank' names were used by this unit.

Quote:
... but they want something closer to what they crossed the Rhine in then ...
The Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders crossed the in Rhine in Buffalos of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. At that time, the Arm of Service marking of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry was: Serial ‘51' in white on a red background, the Formation sign used was that of the 79th British Armoured Division (carried in the reversed positions (i.e.: AoS on the right and Fmn Sign on the left, as you face the front or rear of the vehicle) of where the AoS marking and Formation marking were normally found at that time, on the front and rear of the vehicle). I have found no evidence of the green over black ‘Diabolo’ Formation marking of the 33rd British Armoured Brigade (of which 1 Northants Yeo was a component unit) having been carried on their Buffalos, nor have I found any evidence of the use of 'tank' names by the unit.

Quote:
Do you have any further info regarding Buffalos and the SD&G?
Answered above ... I think? ...

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 04-02-09 at 18:46. Reason: Additional information