View Single Post
Old 17-12-20, 14:04
MLU Administrator

Default Battlefield finds

Now, where did the tanks come from?

The German Army used the French Char B1 in flame-thrower guise. At least four of them were used during the battle for Arnhem. See one below which was put out of action by the British Airborne troops at the Van Borsseleweg in Oosterbeek. Oosterbeek is approx. 17 kms. away from Ede.

Click image for larger version

Name:	renault-tank.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	118284

Personally, I am more interested in finding out where the Sherman Crab came from. Jon, is it possible to make a better scan so we can read the census number? We may be able to find it back in Kevin's WW2 database of tank, carrier and vehicle names.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman Crab Ede 1945.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	118285

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Another possible search direction might be to determine what unit was using Sherman Flails in Ede and if Regimental Diaries list any fatal casualties, when and where. As for time, I would think 17 - 24 April 1944 would be a likely start point.
I have found a reference to a possible identity. One Sherman Crab was put out of action by mines at Doorwerth on 16 April. Doorwerth is approx. 15 kms. from Ede. I have to check which of the three regiments of the 30th Armoured Brigade operating Sherman Crabs were involved in this operation: 22nd Dragoons, 2nd County of London Yeomanry (Westminster Dragoons) or 1st Lothians and Border Horse.

Quote:
ref. https://www.edestad.nl/lokaal/histor...bevrijd-698466

"On April 16, the Essex Battalion left Velp to relieve the Leicester Battalion of the 147th Brigade in the front line on the western edge of Arnhem. The next day, the two other battalions of the 56th Brigade first left for Wageningen. The Gloucestershire Battalion advanced with four mine-sweeping "Crab" Sherman tanks and eight Churchill "crocodile" tanks (flamethrower) via Utrechtseweg (N225) through Oosterbeek to Doorwerth.

The South Wales Borderer Battalion with four "Crab" flail tanks and three flamethrower Churchill tanks (tanks of the 79th British Tank Division) drove to Doorwerth via Benedendorpseweg and Heveadorp. On the way, both battalions were busy clearing mines and blockades, where a tank was damaged. From Doorwerth, the South Wales Borderers Battalion ran via Heelsum to Bennekom to occupy a front line on the west side of the village. These British soldiers stayed there for weeks." [Google translate]