View Single Post
Old 26-06-20, 21:42

Default BOXES, Tool, No. 1 WS Cdn No. 52 ZA/CAN 4727

A little bit of a ‘step back’ from the 52-Set Sender this week. The work was at a logical point for a break and I needed to get a few things completed in the garage to continue with the overall project. That work was mainly final adjustments on the band saw I had assembled earlier, and bolting down the bench belt sander and giving it final adjustments as well. It was cool this week and it made sense to get those things out of the way. With that work being done, I decided to get back into the 52-Set Project by backing up a bit to work on the wooden Tool Box again.

I had not done much with the tool box since obtaining it from Jordan Baker, way back around Posts 60 to 65, other than sorting out the specs for it and what was missing from it. Basically, just two pieces were missing, the wooden partition inside and one metal bracket. I had worked out the details for both pieces and realized the partition would be something I could tackle easily enough.

The partition was assembled from solid. Clear pine boards, one half inch thick. It spanned the width of the box at 6 inches and was four and three quarters high. It formed a space at the left end of the box exactly 3 inches wide that was used to hold the cord for the 12 Volt DC soldering iron. The handle of the iron rested on the front top of the partition and the tip of the iron in the small metal bracket that was still in place at the front right side of the box, four and three quarter inches up off the floor of the box.

The challenge was that one half inch thick boards cannot be had these days Best I could find was three quarter inch clear yellow pine, seven and a quarter inches wide, so I bought a two foot length to work with. I marked off an eight inch wide piece (building in a Goof Factor) and split it in half lengthwise. This gave me two pieces of board that I could work with in the band saw when it came time to trim the thickness down to one half inch. Once trimmed, I glued the two pieces back together, let them set and then sanded down the rough bits on the cut side and finally trimmed the piece to the required 6 x 4.75 inches.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools E.JPG   WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools F.JPG   WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools G.JPG   WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools H.JPG   WS No. 52 Cdn, Box, Tools I.JPG