View Single Post
Old 27-05-18, 19:22

Default Steering Wheel Removal

Hi Nathen

What ever you do loosen but DO NOT remove the nut all the way while you attempt to remove the wheel. Have seen many steering wheels and steering shafts totally ruined by having the top of the shaft spread from use of a puller.

I would start with using your favorite penetrating solution, I like acetone mixed 50/50 with automatic transmission fluid. Just keep squirting the nut threads and after you have backed the nut off a couple of turns under the nut.

If the wheel is fitted with puller bolt holes then use a puller. With a puller cap spreading the push on the top of the shaft and nut. Tighten the puller up reasonably don't over due it. Then give the puller screw a sharp tap with a hammer. I have also vibrated it gently with an air chisels with a flat punch tool.

If the wheel doesn't have puller bolt locations, I have made a wood collar to go under the wheel, good snug fit around the hub not on the spokes seem work best. When we did this last on a Model A we made it up out of 2 inch thick oak unit was made in 2 halves that bolted together. Couple of long bolts and flat plate on the top side with a spacer to push on the end of the shaft and the nut. Then hit the center of the plate over the shaft a couple of smart hits.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com