View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 20:48

Default Moving forward.....

Spring as sprung and new project are in line.....

In my spare time I am still taking dings out of the dents and dents out of the dings of my roof....coming along nicely but slow.....

Meanwhile back to the old truck.

Finally got the truck back on the road today after sleeping in the sea can since New Years day. Started without a glinch and brake pedal still very good....... the old M37 needed a brake job every Spring. I drove it for about 40 miles in the last two days........ and the brakes are lower ad could use and adjustment and possibly bleeding, engine oil is still dripping and the paint on one gas tank has peeled from gasoline spillage.

It is now resting on a cardboard coverd floor of the barn (including an old foam pillow block) where I will stretch out and check every nuts and bolts..... look for new leaks, check all fluid levels, etc. Even got a new LED trouble light of the occasion.

Engine oil leak is now causing the 3rd and 4th gear to slip when shifting.

First step will be to remove the bottom sheet metal tray and spray as much "brake cleaner" cans as I can.... blow it dry and road test.

Step two..... the more permanent fix.......... remove the short drive shaft using a propane torch to heat up the U joint bolts that were Loctite.......

....remove the inside engine cover to access the tranny from above and use the opportunity that without a roof I can easily lower the tranny in a sling from the overhead crane. This will be an opportunity to install the ceramic felt insulation I recently purchased.

....disconnect all the linkages, Ebrake, 4x4 levers, etc. drain the tranny, and remove the tranny from the bellhousing.

Remove the clutch pack and examine for oil contamination..... may need to replace the disc plate lining if saturated with oil....

remove the bell housing and inspect the rear main seal. My seal came from a regular complete gasket set.....apparently there are some aftermarket neoprene that are higly recommended on Stovebolt......

That implies draining the engine oil. removing the oil pan...... raising the truck from the front with the overhead crane to allow the axle to droop to the lower point allowed by the springs....... block every thing in place with multi engine stand..... that should give me enough clearance to access the engines crank/bearings above the front axle....... or I remove the engine from the frame by first removing the cab and all its wiring....... or remove the front axle as a total assembly by just disconnecting and rolling it out from under the truck.

In any event the crank as to be loosened..... the rear main removed and the new seal installed.

The reverse all of the above and the job is done. If it still leaks... I will by more oil!!!!

....and I will document every frustrating steps on camera.

Cheers
Canada