View Single Post
Old 01-07-14, 01:10
VMVC

Default Ford CMP muffler position and info

Hello Hanno,

Attached are two photos of an original muffler as installed on a Ford Ambulance at the Bandiana Army Museum in Australia.

It shows the front end of the muffler very close to being in line with the rear step plate bracket.

The third photo is of an original rear bracket on my F15A. With my generic muffler installed, which is the same length as an original, the position is very close to the museum example. To prevent confusion from the photo, my tailpipe has an adaptor which mates the 1-5/8" tailpipe to the 2" outlet of the muffler. When installed, the adaptor fits inside the outlet and the smaller end goes into the bracket. The pipe was left a bit longer for fitting.

Something which is sometimes overlooked, which I have inadvertently done, when shopping for replacement mufflers is the position of the inlet and outlet relative to each other. My replacement one has the inlet and outlet 180 degrees apart.

The museum example shows the inlet at the 6 o'clock position when viewed from that end and the outlet at the 3 o'clock position when viewed from that end (90 degrees apart). I intend to juggle my exhaust pipe a bit to ensure it hangs properly but it would have been nice to have it all line up from the start.

Hope this is of some help in locating it on the truck and sourcing a correct one.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0101.JPG   IMG_0102.jpg   IMG_0026.jpg  

Jacques Reed