Thread: Humber FV1600
View Single Post
Old 09-05-07, 10:56
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hi Clive - no I did NOT know about the Yahoo group - which is funny as I have been chasing round after Humbers for years. And NO, I did not know the information about 02 BK 09, but this matches the 'B' reg number plate that she is wearing. Thanks.

I thought I knew a fair bit about these machines but you and other people on this forum know a lot that I don't - so I am glad to have bumped into you and look forward to getting onto the Yahoo group. A big thank you to MLU for making this possible!

Yes, they are a challenge but good fun too - during any stripdown you ar full of admiration for the engineering at the same time as cursing how damn difficult the parts are to pull out due to extreme waterproofing etc. - it's all about attitude - some people play with stationary engines just for fun but once something has wheels people expect the thing to be practical!

The fact that 02 BK 09 is nearly dead (in some people's eyes it is already ACTUALLY dead) - is quite liberating. Most owners of 1950s Rolls Royce engines do not feel at liberty to open them up themselves - as I must do because some plonker took out No1 spark plug 25 years ago....sure, it will be NASTY in there, but if I can get that beast to drive herself out of the hole she has sunk into on 5 cylinders in a cloud of smoke that will be great, and if the vehicle ever comes to anything I can get another B60 later on. Also I have always liked the photos of the open cab versions - 03 BK 52 - but Les Freathy posted pics of a different one on this forum too - but would NEVER chop the top off such a rare vehicle. But when you see 02 BK 09 you will see that the roof is really finished - rusty, then hit with a JCB - so I can actually progress with a lot of freedom with this machine. I was going to build a replica of prototype 112 WK as an off-roader but now feel that I can achieve 03 BK 52 - but Les's photos look like they have an easier-to-make sidescreen / door top arrangement.

I would say that almost ANY rusty Humber wreck could be buit into a 112 WK replica - as log as you start with a decent chassis - to take to off-road events and show the Toyota boys some proper deep fording.

All those Australian trucks - it is so dry that even the dead burnt one in the Bush is better than ANY (except restored ones) that you find here in the UK. I love our weather - the spring is so green here - but it makes our Humbers collapse into a soggy mess of rust and moss.

You are not far from me - I would love to see yours sometime. When I work out how to compress pictures to '700' I will put some pictures up.

I have tried to attach 02 BK 32 as found in 2001

Regards,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
humber07.jpg