View Single Post
Old 06-02-18, 23:17
carrier mech

I would not recommend experimenting with papers other than gasket material for gaskets. The old cornflake box will make a better wick than a gasket...it will draw the oils out. Whatever you can't get form Canadian tire you will get from NAPA.

Re the PTO plate, most PTOs follow a very standard size. As such, the gasket is available from many sources. Being that the plate is fairly thin, you will want a reasonably thick gasket.

On a Universal carrier I am re-doing at work, I put all new gaskets when I rebuilt the transmission, and the PTO plate leaked. I ordered the plate for an Allison transmission and the gasket for an LSVW. Worked out fine. I could have just used RTV, but I wanted to do it old school.

In this day and age, you can also get away with RTV for the majority of applications, especially if you apply it properly. Run a bead around both gasket surfaces, let it set for an hour, then put them together. As Grant mentions though, don't use it if the retainer acts as part of the dimensions for the bearing preload.