View Single Post
Old 20-02-18, 01:20

Agreed that the Design Record refers to the 2 ton 4 wheel GS trailer as being to S/MECH. 6409 however there is what appears to be an example of this type (with the body extended to 12 foot length by cutting off the headboard, splicing in extra side and floor material and re-attaching the headboard) in the vicinity of Ottawa. It was collected in Eastern Ontario - hard to understand why an orphan would have been brought back, so I will guess it probably never went overseas. I don't know if this is relevant but it seems to have been painted a very similar yellow to my ex-RCAF radar train C60L (with winch). It also came from the same general area so there might be some form of connection.... Perhaps once I get the 15cwt trailer done, I will try to convince the owner to sell me the 2 ton and start on that....
The same collection has a Brake Drum Grinding trailer that unfortunately was cleaned off just above deck level. (I think it was sourced in the vicinity of Huntsville.)

After checking the parts/maintenance books for the 4 wheel trailers, both/all have the stacked frame arrangement at the rear, however, I need to clarify my guess of the identity of Dennis' trailer frame. Based on the fifth wheel appearing to be of the ring and roller variety and the statements in SB-13 that the ring and roller fifth wheel was used on the "60 Ton Press" and "Brake Drum and Surface Grinder" and plain plate fifth wheel was used on "GS" and "QMG-MT" trailers it appears Dennis' frame is probably from either of the "60 Ton Press" or "Brake Drum and Surface Grinder" trailers. This is partly borne out by the lack of rear auxiliary springs and air power system for the brakes that are listed for the QMG-MT trailer.

Like many things CMP, the trailers had common parts made by a variety of makers to similar or standard designs. Like the trucks, brakes were Ford (including master cylinder)(except air components by Bendix-Westinghouse), springs were lifted from CMP trucks (Ford on 15 and 20 cwt 2 wheel, Chevrolet for the 4 wheel trailers. Frames by several makers including Cusson Brothers in Montreal (Fruehauf as an existing trailer maker would be another likely source.). The ring and roller fifth wheel assembly is listed as being a Fruehauf assembly (might have been used on frames by other makers), perhaps that is the origin of the description in the ad?? My impression is that Chrysler did a lot of the assembly of machinery equipment into trucks and trailers that others had built. As an example, most of the manuals for machinery components of trucks and trailers are published by Chrysler but the machinery bodies were typically either Lindsay or GS pattern mounted on Ford, Chevrolet or Diamond T chassis with lathes, drills, saws, generators, welders, chargers and presses etc from standard commercial sources mounted into the body by Chrysler.

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 20-02-18 at 01:44.