View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 04:22

This project is an interesting one on a number of levels, not the least of which is making it work with a limited budget. To that end, at the very beginning, I decided to put together a list of what was required to make the project possible. It became evident very quickly that some items were more important than others, so an A-List and a B-List of required items were developed.

Obviously, the A-List had to include the five basic components of the Main 52-Set Assembly: Receiver, PSU, Sender, Carriers No.4 and ATU. In addition, a Remote Receiver, Remote Supply and relevant Connector Cable were added to this list at critical items.

The B-List became essentially the three Cases/Boxes used for tools, spare parts and the items for the Remote Receiver System. All the accessories common to the 19-Set, and the specialty cables and connectors were added to this list as well as the necessary tools and spares.

Restoration work has been focusing up until now on getting the Remote Supply up and running in order to facilitate getting the two receivers in the complete basic 52-Set up and running. That has been going relatively smoothly but work has reached a point where a lot of little fiddly things need attention, and in most cases, purchases of items to continue with the Remote Supply restoration. A point has been reached, however, where continuing to chase parts for this portion of the project can negatively influence the critical focus of obtaining the A-List items.

They say exceptions prove the rule. Well, I think that is true. I received an email from Jordan Baker a couple of weeks ago telling me he had spotted an interesting box at a location he had recently visited and upon closer inspection, it turned out to be the wooden tool box for the main 52-Set, so he purchased it and got in touch with me. Something had made me set aside the Remote Supply work for the time being just a few days prior to Jordan’s email. True, the box is not on the A-List, but it was one of the three critical, high priority items on my B-List, so I purchased it from Jordan.

It arrived in the mail Monday afternoon and is in very nice condition. A wooden partition on the left hand side has been removed (with considerable care) and will be an easy piece to replicate and replace. I even have a supply of the correct sized finishing nails needed. A metal bracket has been removed from the right rear inner wall, just below the right hinge. Looks like a single piece of hardware held it in place. Form and function remain a mystery for the time being.

Finish is the same OD Green Marconi used on the WS-No. 9 equipment and the Crystal Calibrator for the 19-Set. The two latches are identical to the ones used to secure the cover on the ZE-11 and ZE-12 Remote Supplies and the metal handle on the lid of the box is identical to the two Marconi used on the sides of the Remote Receiver Case. Post War NATO Green paint has been applied to the outside of this box at some point in time, but I can see traces of white markings showing through on the front of the box that will get a closer look shortly.

The photos are courtesy of Jordan, by the way.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Cdn Box, Tools A.jpg   WS No. 52 Cdn Box, Tools B.jpg