View Single Post
Old 14-11-16, 13:30
carrier mech

The holes for the corner mounts were on all the Cdn2 and Cdn3 from the factory. This is evidenced by the weld nuts on the inside of the body.

From my days in the FGH, the high mount over the spare tire carrier was standard with the C-42. We had the ATU mounted with the dial and gauge facing towards the Jeep, and a suitable hole cut in the canvas. The ATU had to be adjusted, and either the recce tactics did not allow for the stop, or just as likely, it was too damn cold in Manitoba to get out of the truck and walk around back. As the line went on apocalypse now: never get out of the jeep man, never get out of the jeep.

When the unit changed to the 524 sets, the corner mounts started making their appearance, and some of the Jeeps were changed over.

From my mechanic days, I can tell you that the high mount over the spare tire carrier, combined with the extra weight of the ATU or AMU, resulted in cracking of the rear body at the spare tire mount and body where it met the wheel wells. The corner mount is preferable for integrity purposes.