View Single Post
Old 12-08-09, 12:17
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Alex and Cliff,
Thank you for the additional information about the differential centre. Cliff you have raised a bit of confusion as in an earlier thread …”What Makes a Maple Leaf a Maple Leaf?” July 8th I got a response back …. My opinion is that if the body plate does not say 'Maple Leaf' and it has not got the 'Maple Leaf' name badges either side of the bonnet it is not a 'Maple Leaf' Chevrolet.
If the “body plate” referred to is what I call an identification plate which was located on the passenger side firewall - then there was absolutely no mention of Maple Leaf just “Holdens.” The truck was a full twin to my 1940 Chevrolet Holden in every manner that I could check. Position of side vents instead of a top vent below the windscreen and also quarter vent windows. Gauges and switches were the same. Only difference I could find was that the windscreen was fixed and mine swings up on hinges.

So apart from the Maple Leaf symbols on the bonnet and the Maple Leaf on the ID plate located on the firewall what other differences exist between a Holden Chevrolet and a Holden Built Maple Leaf Chevrolet? It did have 18 inch balloon type rims on the truck.

I also found a GMC Holden built 1940 ex Army truck too on the same day just to further muddy the waters.

Kind Regards
Lionel