View Single Post
Old 12-08-09, 12:54

The trucks (and cars) of the mid 30's to 40's era are confusing due to a host of factors. I think in another thread there was a model list showing the wheelbases for the Chev as well as the Maple Leaf trucks which can be different. Main differences are mechanical with the Maple Leaf normally having a larger capacity motor for example and unless you are conversant with engine numbers and the minor differences it is hard to tell them apart especially when the same company has built the same cabs for both. Plus with 60 odd years of civilian ownership all sorts of funny things happen with body and mechanical parts being transfered. Back in the mid to late 30's a lot of re-badging was done on motor vehicles along with a few styling differences, plus to confuse people further the same local built bodies on suposed different makes.

Most army trucks of the era had either the 18inch military split rim wheels or civilian type rims and tyres fitted often between the same models so that is no real help. It was the model after yours where the top cowl vents became common along with the side vents. As you saw in the earlier posts the AWM photos of a standard Chev 3 ton and a Maple Leaf Chevrolet 3 ton look the same. So you really need the list of Chassis/body numbers of each to be totally sure. Plus your truck is not a Chevrolet Holden it is a WA Chevrolet assembled by Holden with a Holden built cab.

Hope this has not confused you too much and often it is easier for someone else to help positively ID a vehicle from photos and not just a discription. I have added another photo here from Pictures Australia showing WA Chevrolet trucks at Alice Springs in 1945. This photo shows the rear body type yours should have if you wish to restore it to it's full military glory. I also suggest rather then using the ARN number from the Maple Leaf Bonnet that you check the AWM's ARN number books first as they may give you your vehicles original ARN if you can match engine or chassis numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Alice springs 1945.jpg  

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"