View Single Post
Old 22-07-10, 22:33
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
This MWG is positively identified by the brackets on the body sides for "stowing the ditching boards", this phrase is quote from a Bedford wartime publication describing each model. You can see them in both photos.
I did some reading up (including my old thread I found again), and interestingly, even though Vanderveen in one publication - see below - mentions the MWG was the anti tank portee, in his Observer's FV Directory he mentions the MWG was the variant with the Polsten 20-mm AA gun. This is endorsed by Mike Conniford in "British Light Military Trucks 1939-1945".

I am inclined to say evidence points towards the Bedford w/Polsten gun is the MWG, while the Bedford with 2-pdr / 25-mm gun is:
a) the MWT, or
b) a conversion of the MWD GS truck.

Who has more information?

Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
From Bart Vanderveen's Kaleidoscope of Bedford & Vauxhall Military Vehicles:
"The Bedford MWG was an Anti-Tank Portee, also known as 'GS truck with gun mountings'. It looked like the MWD GS truck but was modified for carrying of a 2-pounder anti-tank gun in the rear body. These modifications included gun-loading ramps carried in outrigger brackets either side of the body and curved channels in fixed ramps on the body floor for the gun wheels to rest in. It had additional seats in the back and was supplied only with the 1939-style open cab. The BEF in France used the MWG to carry a 250-mm Hotchkiss gun instead of the 2-pounder.

The MWT was an Anti-Tank tractor and also similar in appearance to the early MWD GS truck but it featured a detachable tilt with windows and four seats for personnel. WD-pattern drawbar gear was fitted at the rear (similar body was also fitted to the 15-cwt Morris-Commercial CS8)."