View Single Post
Old 16-09-17, 08:49
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default C8ax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
How did the NZ built C8AX that was a restoration feature on this forum, some time back, get to Australia? Was it hauled back from the islands by a similar enterprising Australian? Let me know.
Lynn

As Tony wrote, the C8AX vehicles were imported from the Solomons. Apparently the company involved was 'Torokina Spares' , based in Sydney. The final number imported must have been significant because C8AX's are fairly common in NSW . Could have been 400 or more ?

It's been noted that C8AX were seen driving around Sydney during the later stages of WW2 with RN markings ( The old W&T article ) . VMVC member Len Schutt's C8AX was found to have the RN script on the doors, he contacted the RN in the UK archives but no luck. Len's C8AX is a regular Corowa antendee , I followed it back down the Hume and it was speeding along like no other CMP I've ever seen! On the back to track outing, it blew a head gasket and passing semi driver loaded it to Adelaide for free !

I had a C8AX and the NZ built GS body, I sold my example to two young brothers in Perth WA . I've still got the plans I had drawn up up of the GS body . Somebody in NSW actually built a body from my plans. Might have been the restored C8AX that was destroyed by catching on fire .

I had a C8AX article published in Army Motors the US MVPA club magazine years ago.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 16-09-17 at 09:42.