View Single Post
Old 21-07-08, 18:28
Jan Vandevelde

Default prefixes also for armoured vehicles contracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
I am conjecting at the moment that the War Office then Ministry of Supply had written Volumes with different contract types, If that was the case, perhaps '243' was the Volume or series for vehicles, or wheeled vehicles, then the next was a sub-series, followed by a sequential number which started probably post-Great War...it seems that by the early 1930s they had got to V.2400 or so, and they just added as each contract was let? I know that the 'V.' series ran into the 5000s, but whether the 'T.' and 'S.' series used the same numbers I have no definitive proof but the evidence that I have suggests that they were a seperate series.
David,

I agree with your theory about the separate series. If you take a look at the first pages of the Chilwell list (1933), one can only conclude that the V series started somewhere around V/2400, T started around 1000 and C around 5000.

I've also been thinking about the "243" being a "Volume" or something similar. Did the armoured vehicles also have contract plates I wonder? Would these contracts also have started with a prefix similar to "243/23/contract number"?

For the armoured vehicles owners who would like to add something to this thread : as explained previously, this mysterious prefix can sometimes also be found on the parts lists etc.

Regards,
Jan
Attached Thumbnails
cover.jpg  
"And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!" (Clive Cussler)

1940 Royal Enfield WD/C
1942 Royal Enfield WD/CO