View Single Post
Old 20-05-04, 11:18
former Resident Historian

Default 'SM', 'S.M.' or 'S/M' and what it means!

Dave Page has asked me what 'SM', or S.M.' or 'S/M' means. I thought that it would be appropriate to remind and ask for assistance.

The abbreviation stands for 'Supply-Mechanical' which is in fact a 'Demand Supply-Mechanical' or contract placed by the Ministry of Supply and also at times the Admiralty for the Royal Navy and Air Ministry for the RAF. Well, it did until after January 1941 when acquisitions were placed in theory under the M of S for all three services, plus civilian use. Essentially these are contracts for overseas supply initially to the UK, starting with S/M 2002...though there may have been a S/M 2001 not found it yet..for CMPs in July 1940 and then rising up sequentially and then jumping to S/M 6001 at some stage bypassing S/M 3001 and up, 4001 and up and 5001 and up. However we now think that S/M 5001 and up were for spare parts whilst S/M 1001 and up were for imported hard skin vehicles such as the Staghounds. Trailers were also acquired under S/M demands as well as under 'TM' demands..'Trailer Mechanical'? Likewise motorcycles and half-tracks and oddities such as the Allis-Chalmers tractors.

Now, it is my aim to find in the National Archives the files showing the complete listing for all M of S contracts. I have had some pointers from the NA but if anyone has ever done this before please let me know!

In addition to the British deliveries the UK government purchased vehicles etc. for dominion and commonwealth countries and the same system applied for overseas deliveries to whichever country.