Thread: Wanted: '37 Pattern shoulder strap
View Single Post
Old 03-04-15, 21:39
GM Fox I

Thanks again Chris. Your information is sorting this out for me. At the risk of hijacking my own thread I took these pics. It seems the original harness was unique to radio sets but was later simplified to use standard '37 Pattern L straps. The mine detector uses L straps as well except they have extra web tabs that I think may be for an additional chest strap.

Here's pics of the set-up on a No.4 Mine Detector, Supply Unit No.5, Wireless Set No.18 (no numbers on the straps but marked M.E.Co. 1942) and the 22 set harness I'm trying to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Did the set come with the later pattern waist belt? (If not, it will be something of a pig to wear.)

The WS22 Identification List has the whole assembly as "Braces, Carrying, No.1 Mk.II as follows:

Z1/ZA.21524 Belts, Waist, No.2
Z1/ZA.27917 Braces, L.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.27916 Braces, R.H., No.2
Z1/ZA.12593 Hooks, Flat, 1-in

and then (annotated n.p. for Not Provisioned)

AA.0374 Buckles, Brass, 1-in
AA.1711 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Left
AA.1712 Straps, Shoulder, Haversack, W.E. Pattern, '37 Right

Going by the line drawing, the haversack straps come with both buckles fitted, and I think the list is incorrect as the 1-in buckle (marked n.p.) is shown with the waistbelt - I think it should be the flat hooks marked n.p.instead, as that would make rather more sense.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mine Detector Mo.4.jpg   A SU No.5.jpg   A WT No.18.jpg   A WT No.22.jpg