View Single Post
Old 21-04-18, 15:20
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul visser View Post
- there are 1506 foxes build, but does that include also the GM 8446 chassis that are shipt to Australia??
- How many GM 8446 chassis are send to Australia?
Paul,

A total of 382 GM 8446 chassis were exported to Australia for their Rhino Heavy Armoured Car project. Ref. A Fox street sweeper: "A quick look through Mike Cecil's excellent book suggests that 251 Model 8446 chassis were delivered to Australia. Not included were 131 chassis shipped aboard the SS Port Montreal which was sunk by enemy action enroute to Australia."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gough View Post
from the maintenance manual re the Chassis Serial Number:
"..... The first five digits of the group represent the year the vehicle was built and the Factory series number. The last five represent the number of the vehicle in order of manufacture, beginning at 00001, for the model year."
So the 16009 in your serial number indicates your Fox was the 16009th vehicle produced in the 1942 model year.
Thanks Brian. So, we would need to find the batches of serial numbers allocated to Fox chassis.

Indeed, 8446 was the GM of Canada model numbers for the Fox and Rhino chassis - ref. Ford model designation.

Known Fox chassis numbers found here on MLU include:
Known contract numbers are listed in fox info needed.

Far from complete, but it's a start!

PS: back in 2000, I wrote the following web page on the Car, Armoured, Mark I, Fox I.

HTH,
Hanno