Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 20-03-18, 19:53
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
I get that Chris! But have you any idea about the other base's? MK1* and No1 And which one is correct for my PU8/4 and anyone got a close up picture for scaling?
So far I've made a scaled up copy of the MK1* as it's clearly shown on an 8cwt truck. Ron
1940 Z1 VAOS entry:

Cat No. ZA.7833
List of Changes B 3092
AERIAL BASES No.1
Price (each) £1 12s 0d

Ebonite insulator; fitted with brass clamp and guide for aerial lead; mounted in magnesium alloy socket (toothed) fitted with M.S. chain; and 1 magnesium alloy ring (toothed); approx 7.3/4-in. x 5.1/2-in. x 5.1/2-in., overall; used on vehicles fitted with Masts, duralumin.

-----------------

Later on, there's a list of stores for Wireless Set No.1, and this seems to show the evolution of Aerial Base No.1.

Aerial-Bases

Mk.I
ZA.7540
List of Changes A 9104, B 731

Ebonite, with brass socket and shield.

-------------------------------------------------------

ZA.7544 SHIELDS. (Price each £0/0s/4d)

Rubber disc, 6-in. dia. x 1/8-in thick

Mk.1*
ZA.7548
List of Changes B 731

Ebonite, 4-in. dia., fitted with brass clamp and magnesium alloy socket.

ZA.7552 SPIKES
List of Changes A 9104 B 731

M.S. 12-in. long x 1/2-in dia., with flange and footplate welded on.

Mk.II
ZA.7560
List of Changes A 9104 B 731
Comprising G.M. serrated base, bracket; leaf spring and chain; and Wireless Set, No.1 aerial base, Mk.I or Mk.I*

Mk.III
ZA.7564
List of Changes B 70 B 731

Comprising 2 toothed rings, 1 upper and 1 lower; 1 helical spring; and Wireless Set, No.1 aerial base, Mk.I or Mk.I*

Now, from that lot I reckon that Aerial Base No.1 evolved from Wireless Set No.1 Aerial Base Mk.1, via Mk.1*, Mk.2 (with leaf spring) to Mk.III (with helical spring) and then was renamed when Wireless Set No.1 became obsolete.

N.B. the '*' against a mark number indicates a modification, so Mk.1 (or no mark number) is the original design, Mk.1* is the first modified version, Mk.1** is the second modified version, and Mk.II is a redesign or replacement. The * method of denoting modifications was OK for things that didn't change much (such as weapons), but rapidly became an utter shambles when it came to rapidly-developing things like wireless sets.

Further on in the VAOS is the Complete Station List for Wireless Set No.1 in various roles. 1B is the interesting one "For use in Trucks, 8-cwt., 4-wheeled, wireless", and that lists:

Aerial-bases Mk.1 or Mk.1* (1)
Spikes (1)
Aerial-bases Mk.II (0)
Aerial-bases Mk.III (1)

Mk.I or Mk.1* is clearly the ground station aerial, because it comes with a spike mount with footplate and is issued for ground and vehicle station.

Mk.II is likewise specific to tanks, being specified for the Light Tank 1C.

Mk.III is specified for the vehicle station.

So Mk.1 is for demounted operation of the set and Mk.III was permanently fixed to the vehicle.

By the time the W.S.11 came along, I suspect all this had been consolidated into "Aerial Base No.1" for general vehicle use and "Insulator W/T 'B'" for ground station/dismounted operation.

Does that help at all?

Chris.