View Single Post
Old 05-04-18, 18:36

Default Comments on workshop

Hi Paul

You have asked for comments on a very good topic. The information members are bring forward is good stuff.

I built my 2nd and last CMP workshop in 2004 my first comment never enough space, never enough organized storage space. My shop is 24x36 feet with 12 ft ceilings and has a loft with 900 sq.ft. of shelf space.

I insulated my shop walls and ceiling with 2" blue insulating board, pretty efficient but one problem the blue board shrinks 1-2" in length leaving gaps after about 10 years don't know if this is normal or result of being exposed to paint thinners.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Board .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	99022
The ceiling boards were cut to fit between the joist, and I then blew in stria-foam packing peanuts. Result there is very little loss of heat through the ceiling.

I have two suggestions, programmable thermostat so you tell the heat to come on 2 hours before you go out to work. Second combination ceiling fan air filtration units.

It has been mentioned that adding ceiling fans will help get the heat down of the ceiling. Instead of buying ceiling fans I took an old room fan made a frame to hold air-filters. Result I have a unit that blows the hot air off the ceiling down to the floor and takes the dust out of the air at the same time.

Recently I made a second unit with a new fan and new filter rack design that holds two layers filters around the sides and one layer on the top. On the first unit I moved the 3 speed switch from the fan to the wall so the speed can be changed to fit the need. The effectiveness of the units of course depends on the filters you choose to use. But they are fairly effective because when you are sanding the surface of the outside filters changes pretty quickly depending on color of what you are sanding.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter .jpg
Views:	4
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	99025 Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	99023
The newest unit is directly over my primary work area so it is blowing filtered air down on me. The other unit is at the far end of the shop and was intended primarily to get the hot air off the ceiling and back down to people level.

Did some air flow studies on the units because of the large filter surface area the speed is low, (good for filtering) yet moving a lot of air yields a lot of cubic feet of air going through filters. Time for one unit to filter the cubic volume of my shop is about 14 minutes, so with two units that time is cut in half.

One thing I have learned that when it is time to change the filters you want to slide them out carefully and directly into a plastic trash bag. These filters can get pretty dirty and dropping one on the floor makes a mess.

Cheers Phil

Keep us posted
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com