View Single Post
Old 09-09-08, 11:06
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Hard to be exact, but

I think they were phased out about 1990 or so. We hardly ever saw the heavy barrelled version, as they seemed to be used by units like RNZE. We had GPMG as section auto till the mid 80's when there was a problem and they were withdrawn from Infantry sections, to be replaced by Bren LMG in .303! I used to haul the ammo crates out of the rubbish trailer after shoots.

When the SLR went, we used M16A1 exclusively for a while, till the trials for a replacement selected the Steyr AUG. Made in OZ, but different to theirs in the safety catch arrangement. I recall the NZ safety catch stuck out towards your belly while you walked, and would often get knocked from Safe to semi while you walked!

I exercised with a platoon from Townsville and looked at their steyrs, but don't recall the differences now.

Incidentally, we heard from School of Infantry staff who conducted the trialls that many preferred the Canadian M16A2, which had a longer barrel life than the US version they trialled. Politics ruled and they went with the Steyr.

Back to topic...I still prefer the feel of the SLR, so well done on your preservation of important history.
Rob
ex RNZIR