View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 00:02
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
Hi Mike,

How are things in the US?

I was thinking the same thing as it would make sense and certainly some flare cartridges do have a marking on the base.

I acquired two fired 1943 dated flares that were in pretty good condition and one of these was used to make the mould. In nearly added a coloured ring around the primer on these, but on close examination of the originals, neither showed any sign of a coloured marking on the base.

Does anyone have an fired/ unfired WW2 dated flare that shows a coloured mark on the base?
I have a couple of 1960-70 dated (alloy) spent cases, and there are no coloured markings on the base. One of them does have a green primer but that may be corrosion because the case is marked with a red star! Older cases may well have a coloured ring around the primer but that will be red or violet and is from a spirit varnish used to waterproof the primer (as on .303 and other cases). I think the only colour markings are on the side of the case and the wad or closure disc. The later all-metal cases had a stamped alloy disc closure which was anodised with the star colour for identification in daylight and had an embossed design (also applied to the lid of the 3-round canister) for identification by touch at night. (White (illuminating) was plain I think, green had a triangle, and red had a cross.)

Chris.