View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 00:33
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
I have a couple of 1960-70 dated (alloy) spent cases, and there are no coloured markings on the base. One of them does have a green primer but that may be corrosion because the case is marked with a red star! Older cases may well have a coloured ring around the primer but that will be red or violet and is from a spirit varnish used to waterproof the primer (as on .303 and other cases). I think the only colour markings are on the side of the case and the wad or closure disc. The later all-metal cases had a stamped alloy disc closure which was anodised with the star colour for identification in daylight and had an embossed design (also applied to the lid of the 3-round canister) for identification by touch at night. (White (illuminating) was plain I think, green had a triangle, and red had a cross.)

Chris.
I agree with Chris on the colours. I also think the position of the flare cartridge box could have been problematic. The hinge is at the top such that when open all the flares would be on their sides with nothing but gravity holding them in place. One good pitch (as carriers are know to do from time to time) and all 12 flairs would be in your lap.

Magnificent job by the way, it looks amazing!!!