View Single Post
Old 02-03-11, 02:36
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Damn fine truck, although it had the original mirrors when sold

Too bad its for resale, it was 100% complete vehicle, the only change was the better 235 engine.

I have to say Im somewhat dismayed to hear its listed on US ebay and other foreign locations. As a very reliable and strong runner I thought it was going to be part of a growing group collection which was in the final stage of becoming a federally recognized museum (and therefore with specific regulations regarding collections). I was told it would therefore be available for shows and parades to ferry veterans and show a larger audience of Cdns one of the (now very rare) uniquely Cdn designed and built vehicles, as a tangible indication that Cda had its own history and wartime contribution distinct from that of the US, and Great Britain. This is something that not many Canadians know or realize,especially given the dismal amount of history taught in our schools in the last couple of decades. I was also led to believe that as part of the museum collection the truck would remain "permanently" in Canada. These were the reasons I was convinced to sell it.

Not that it wouldn't be appreciated and well maintained by a new owner outside of Canada, and especially so by members of this forum, but it is an example of Cdn history and in my personal ownership experience, VERY much appreciated by the veterans who saw it and who rode with me on many occasions, for the fact that a citizen (not govt) took the time to restore this piece of their history as a signal that somebody younger did remember and honour their service and sacrifice. Most had never seen one of these since the war and were astounded that it survived. I -and they-had many a very touching moment thanks to this truck.

The gentleman who sold the truck to me --president of his local antique car club-- understood both the rarity and historical significance of this truck to Canada. It had long been his town's firetruck, and when it came time to retire it, he in fact circumvented municipal rules and pulled strings to get the truck himself so it wouldn't be auctioned off to the public to a very uncertain fate. He subsequently passed over many many other offers (at higher prices) before selling to me as he wanted to be sure it would be restored to its original military state. and not end up eventually as a work truck, or cut down farm vehicle, or possibly leave the country. As an antique restorer he also was well aware of good intentions on restoration and knew something of the difficulty in locating parts, so he was also very concerned about a restoration started only to be later abandoned-scrapped. Locating original parts was in fact EXTREMELY difficult and took years (eg correct front rollers, orig winch cover, POW carriers, proper fabrication of the somewhat tricky wooden hatch gasket with its odd angles and curves, etc etc) I was glad to show him his faith was well founded and he was very pleased to see the restored truck on a couple of occasions at events at a veterans hospital, before he passed away.

Its "potential" sale outside Canada would be a loss, and represent many lost opportunities to show and inform Canadians of their unique history and vital contribution during WWII. To our US friends, I cant see that it has any historical relevance to Americans , and would be just an interesting curiousity. To Brits, Anzacs and Europeans (eg Holland-Norway) it has more relevance, example having been in use by them, and as the general population is likely slightly more aware of Canada's important role in WWII than are Canadians, but when it came time for me to regretfully sell, in spite of an offer by Geoff to help me list it on int'l outlets, this was not done as I made it clear to all that I did not want this rare truck to leave Canada. I admit it was a bit frustrating as there was not a rush for the truck, but that is also why it took so long to sell. It is one of probably a very tiny handful of this model (3-6 maybe?) restored and running still left in this country. ..maybe I should buy it back for the price you paid for it?.

note to Phil W..I see Halton almost every day. works in the office down the hall.

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 06-03-11 at 17:55.