View Single Post
Old 03-12-08, 13:08
T-16, C15A

Default Waterproofing

Gents,

Boob is correct - the waterprooferizing is a messy business that can be done to the OD cloth. The fabric comes with a bit of waterproofing on the thread - so it is 'water resistant'. If it is to be used extensivly out of doors it should be waterproof sprayed. The canvasmith does it just like you and I would - with a pump sprayer. It is a bit smelly, and she pays her foplks to do it, so the price is labour and materials. The tan cloth got that done at the factory, and needs no more.

I have not even thought of stencils - but they should be done prior to waterproofing. If it were me: I would get the tarp without the waterproof treatment, paint stencils, THEN spray the canvas with a commercial ( or homemade ) spray to waterproof. I googled a concoction of soya oil and turpentine that sounds like it would be waterproof and smelly! The sample tarp has black ink for the stencils.

The hold down rope is easier to find that the canvas lady says - check the internet. I may make some of the clips Mike and Grant have worked on.

The canvas shop is down for 2 weeks at Xmas, so production will likely wait for straps and clips and get underway in late January 2009.

Send PMs and get on the list.

Stewart