View Single Post
Old 12-08-03, 02:41

Default Found the bore & stroke...

Hi David

Found and old copy of Motor's Truck Repair manual....which I had sitting in my Power wagon library..... it is listing a GMC 248 from 1952 to 1955 with a engine model 248 A, C, and D .... all with the same B & S I had given you... which comes up to 248.5 compression 7.5 to 1 ........ HP from 100 to 130 on various RPM.

Now this book has little else in serial numbers etc.

Now the other engine number should have been 3764476 which makes it a 235 and the heads are the elusive 3836848 and that is on a re-engined C60.

On the Cab 13 frame in the field it has Captains bar ( assuming ) 261... can't read the casting number the engine cover support is in the way..... and it has the same head number 3836848.

The 216 with serial number 193587 stamped near the distributor has the block casting number of # 3835124...... does that make it the car engine you referred to ????

Now on the GMC engine in my cab 11 the casting number checks out on inliner international as a 1953-54 248 GMC....... now how would that explain the G 5502 serial number that sounds like wartime production ..????

In comaparing the 248 to the 216.... they seemed to have used the same water pump as the 216 and the 6 blade fan... and the 216 carburator....wonder how much was original 248 or how much got grafted from the donor 216 when it was re-engined????

Strangely the 216 and the 248 seem to share the same bellhousing bolt patttern and the similar front engine mount plate.... yet the rest of the block is very different.... for example the 248 has a T- fitting on the front of the oil gallery... just behind the fan.... one side of the T fitting feeds the oil pressure gauge the other side feeds a small oil line that is connected behind the water pump into the front of the head.... lubricating what???

Referring to your other post on the GMC engines..... what distinguishing feature would a 270 have compared to the 248 besides the casting numbers????? once in a junk yard dodging wasps and other nasty creatures a quick visual reference is often the best clue.

Hoping that you are njoying the California weather .... are you actually missing the rain and fog typical of Merry Ol' England???

I have finally stripped my Cab 11 to a bare frame/power train assembly. the 248 will be coming out next... and it will be installed on a metal frame and mothballed for the time being... I may decide to rebuild in my spare time later.... as if I had spare time...hahaha. The impressive thing about the GMC 248 is the size of the exhaust/intake manifold and the large 3 bolts exhaust pipe connector.... even larger than the stock 261...... typical of a heavy working trcuk engine with lots of breathing CFM capacity.
Canada