View Single Post
Old 19-12-06, 00:40

Default Re: US v Canadian

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Cliff, thank you for your input, as always. I believe that the presence of the side lamps points to Canadian origin, and not Tarrytown, NY. These were British orders, but what happened to the cabs? Were they removed on assembly, or modified locally? Cliff, any ideas please? The 1941-2 LRDG 1543X1 trucks pictured were delivered it seems as built in Oshawa. Earlier 1939-40 lorries assembled in Alexandria had an open cab with canvas roof.
David if you look at the 1940 LRDG 30cwt photo I put up earlier in this thread you will notice it has the side lamps on BUT has a locally producted body or seems too have. Maybe I only think they are local bodies and as you say are in fact built like that in Oshawa?

is there a possibility that these portee versions were flat cowl models assembled locally? Or were they imported from Canada as flat cowl models fully assembled with bodies as per the LRDG type pictured and then converted to portees?

This would explain the missing cabs. I doubt they would remove the cabs when they put portee bodies on them although in most cases of portees they did have a open topped cab.

The point is though that the LRDG Chev's were 30cwt's and 134inch WB models mainly and not the 3 ton 158inch WB that I think the pictured portees are!

We may have to hope that a better detailed photo or photos turn up to help us solve this little mistery.

Cheers
Cliff

Last edited by cliff; 19-12-06 at 00:48.