View Single Post
Old 22-09-20, 05:10
carrier mech

When I got it home, I realized some parts were missing. I called Dennis, and he swore everything he took off it was in the items he gave me. I took him for his word.

Anyway, fast forward to a couple weeks ago and there was a pair of M2HB guns (dewats of course) on the floor of my shop that I kept tripping on. So I decided to get onto this project. I did take some photos of the one marking on the front shield to try and ID at a later date. Apparently Canada bought a very small number of these for costal defense. Later, a lot of them seem to have found their way to the RCAF as you can find them with the crest on the shield. We have an almost complete mount at work, and had a second one that a naval unit has borrowed for display. They left behind the shield which has the RCAF crest.

I sanded the area trying to bring up more, but it would seem whatever the base colour was was long gone, and just the red number and letter, along with a little bit of the white name strip on top remained. When the time came to sandblast the shield, I gave it a light blast, and some stencilling appeared. I gently blasted and took photos. With the help of my wife, who loves things like suduko and word puzzles, combined with my minor knowledge of military nomenclature, we translated most of it.

The main text was basically a part number along with "homogenous armor plate spec (undidentifed number) class B". This was under all the layers of paint, which appeared to be olive green along with battleship grey.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0033.jpg   DSCF0042.jpg   DSCF0040.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 28-09-20 at 02:33.