View Single Post
Old 27-09-15, 15:03
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
My interpretation of the Historic Plate is its limited annual mileage clause. Yes, I do roadtests every week during the driving season. But I'd like to have the option of a significantly long roadtrip, without worrying about exceding some arbitrary cap. My road insurance is a rider (?) on my daily driver policy with restrictions of its own, such as no off-road and no driving to work regularly.

As we know, keeping the wheels turning and the engines working is troublesome enough without an additional set of restrictions. So, unless I had something that had bad road manners or was so scarce I'd be afraid of damage, my vote it to plate the Jeep like a car and only deal with the insurance company restrictions.
Insurance is an added layer of complexity to this discussion. Not just liability but fire, theft and vandalism. My household insurance doesn't cover everything with wheels. Snowblowers, bikes and wheelbarrows, but not motorized vehicles. If my parked 'green treasures' are damaged or destroyed they are not necessarily fully insured. I suppose I could argue and complain if my claim would be disallowed, or pay much more per month.

The same company wouldn't insure the M151A2 as a driver because it is over 20yrs old and would have been a new vehicle to them. This is why I had to go to Haggarty, and their policy has limitations.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!