View Single Post
Old 23-01-14, 23:37
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I don't think you are seeing the results of progressive evolution in design of this box. Rather just the variations in concurrent production across a number of manufacturers in Canada, England and the USA. I have seen the two variations you have noted, as well as a snap fit lid style and a luggage clasp style. A similar variation also occurs with the Spare Parts Box.

I have only ever seen the two variations in tube packing you have mentioned and both are displayed on the cloth padding in side the lid. Some makers used strips of black 'roofing felt' wrapped around the valves, in two different patterns and at least one other manufacturer used felt cloth 'booties' on each individual valve.

David
The left hand case is U.S. made, since it has VT-nnn valve/tube numbering in the diagram, the right hand one is probably Canadian. US and Canadian cases have a metal tray with sockets to hold the contents, British made cases (Case, Spare Valves, No.4G) have either sponge rubber or impregnated card inserts. Quite often the contents are still in their waxed paper bags in the latter insert - most likely post-WW2.

I think the felt "booties" or socks were intended to protect the operator's fingers when changing valves - either from a hot envelope or (more likely) broken glass - since there are only four in the cases that I have.

The "cube" type case was common to a large variety of equipment, from the R106 (HRO receiver) which had Case 4A through to the WS62 (4K) and (I think) SR C12 (4L). Case No.5 used the same shell but had a wooden insert to hold 4 x 807 and a small block for replacement lamps and fuses. This was used with the British WS19HP (Amplifier, R.F., No.2).

The 4G case was also used for the WS22, with a different content list, and some of them are stencilled 19/22 on the lid (between the handle and front edge).

Chris.