Thread: For Sale: UC Bogie Wheel Casting
View Single Post
Old 30-03-18, 21:15

Default Bogie Tire Questions

Hi guys, great questions. I have been tied up with income tax filing (ha-ha) and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

The Smooth Cast ONYX is a bullet proof material. It is very durable and while not quite soft like rubber, I think it can flex slightly - very slightly. It definitely will take a beating and it won't chip.

The SS form is tapered so the casting has the correct profile. Stew fabricated an insert to fit the cast for the front idler wheel. The trick is to measure the correct volume of Part A and B to fill the mold. Not too much so that it is over flowing the fill port and definitely don't ever mix not enough. You only have 20 minutes to get it mixed and get it in there before it starts to set. Mounting a hammer drill or some other vibrating electrical tool onto the frame so that all the air bubbles can settle out insures a solid casting. Spray on LOTS of mold release EVERYWHERE that there is a steel. The ONYX sticks to everything if there isn't mold release.

I screwed up the wheel in the pictures. I measured weight instead of volume and only has enough material to fill half of the cast. I also didn't vibrate the casting enough nor did I spray enough mold release in. I attempted a 2nd pour and then mixed too much. Had to chip it off to get it out of the cast. Even though I completely messed it up, this wheel would probably work pretty well as is.

The bogie wheel has to be clean, old rubber removed and preferably down to the grooves. Grease nipple should be removed along with the bearings.

Once you are set up and once you pour, it goes very quick.

I am going to bring everything to the Acton show Saturday. I can then respond to inquiries and emails after I have received feedback. Stew - the expert - is going to be there so I will hopefully know more then.

If you have more questions, fire away. I will try and answer as many as I can. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
UCBogie1.JPG   UCBogie2.JPG   PUStd.JPG   PUA+B.JPG  
1941 CMP C12 C-15A (Parts)
1942 CMP C13 F-60S Dumper (Restoring)
2 x 1941 CMP C12 F-GT (Storage)
194? CMP C13 C-60X (For Sale)