View Single Post
Old 17-11-08, 03:12

Default The fun begins!

Got the C8 back from the sandblaster last week, and luckily had only a few minor spots of rust-through show up in the sheetmetal. I did try for a few hours to retrieve any original markings through the many coats of paint before it went, but the thick brush-applied top coats of red made it virtually impossible. Did notice today a steel manufacturers mark on the rear cab section after it returned blasted.
Have major issues now in the drivetrain, though, as the transmission case is busted. About 1/2 of the casting that constitutes the ball fitting for the torque tube on the transmission is also missing.
Thought the rear end looked odd in that the rear wheels had a lot of negative camber. Turns out that the rear axle housing is bent beyond reasonable repair. Plus the U bolts on the aftermarket overload springs that were installed wore completely through the axle housing! Someone beat this truck like a mule.
Having found all of this, I will not be discouraged, but my wallet is thin! Did a lot of soul-searching on this, but here's what worked out for me:
PURISTS MAY WANT TO COVER THEIR EYES NOW!
Engine was going to be replaced with a 235 anyway. Have a nice four-speed top-loader from a '41 1.5 ton Chev G506 here for a while from a previous conversion project. Have a rear axle assembly here from a six lug '90 model Chev Blazer 4x4 that will fit perfectly according to measurements.
This will give me a good engine and transmission, open driveshaft, and a rear end with decent gears that will still accept the C8 wheel adapters and wheels.
I am now ready to accept my punishment!
Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0565.jpg   DSCF0575.JPG