View Single Post
Old 29-09-14, 18:44
MUTT Guy

I wrote a huge response to a similar post here a couple of years back. I ended up deleting it as it was rather harsh towards the OMVA, but my sentiment hasn't really changed so i'll toss up the short version of it.

In 2008, I had just bought my first MV (M151A2) since owning an M38A1 as a teenager in the early 90s. The MLU membership was (and still is) instrumental in getting it on the road.

I decided to drive it from Trenton to the OMVA Summer Show in Oshawa; this would have been in June 2009. My goal was to get an OMVA membership and meet fellow MV'ers. The Coles Notes version is that I had developed a carb problem over the 75 mile drive from Trenton to Oshawa. I ended up pulling the carb and cleaned/adjusted while at least half a dozen other older Jeep owners watched from 100' away. Why 100' away from the other Jeeps? Because (i'm guessing because I was new) that was where I was instructed to park; 100' away on my own. This was after I was initially told to park in the parking lot with all of the other spectators. The only one at that show who actually came over and offered help with my carb was Mr Anderson (RIP) from Barrys Bay. I fixed my carb and went on my way. Although I doubt it was the club's intent, my spouse and I could not have possibly been made to feel anymore ostracized.

That one incident right there soured me from any further involvement in clubs. Almost all of the other MV guys I personally know in my age demographic feel exactly the same way.

If it is up to the new guy to cross no mans land and extend his hand to a group of old guys with their arms crossed, them membership is going to tumble, especially where there are excellent knowledge bases like MLU.