View Single Post
Old 30-09-14, 02:31
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Interestingly, my local Ford museum, housing the world's largest collection of Ford vehicles - no less than 214! - is auctioning 47 pre-war Fords and veteran and vintage vehicles to make the collection "younger". From the auctioneers site: "The Ford vehicles are being auctioned because the Ford Museum always wants to ensure that its range can be recognized by visitors. The decision was, therefore, taken to exchange the pre-war Fords for vintage vehicles that are not as old."

Hanno
Hi Hanno and others.

Hanno, I just went through the whole 48 vehicles currently under auction and there are only 5 with bid so far. Some pretty cheap ones available too.

I have to agree with everyone. I am the president of our local vintage/classic car club (and have been for far too long), The average age is now in the over 60's and there is not the same interest in the older cars as there was 15-20 years ago. The public love the older cars, but now days do not have the knowledge or space to restore a vehicle.

My father said many years ago the the interest in the hobby will come from those people who remember their first car or the cars that were in the news when they were young. That is why there is so much interest in the super cars of yesterday today.

We are all just custodians and we must eventually pass on to the next generation the vehicles we have saved. Of course the problem there is the lack of knowledge within todays youth. Most do not know which end of a screwdriver to use. Then there is the family time, mortgage, school fees etc which are so much higher than when we started, let alone the lack of availability of parts at a reasonable cost.

We have to just keep showing our vehicles and encouraging every person who shows a little interest in our hobby.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.