View Single Post
Old 28-11-17, 23:17

Default Hello, Stuart

I am new to the forum, and happened upon your name while conducting some research for a novel I hope to write. While there continue to be Canadian novels written that are set during the First World War, there is a dearth of World War II fiction written from the Canadian perspective. In fact, I believe there hasn't been any novel written about the Canadian involvement in WW II for close to 50 years.

I would like to change that, and I'm hoping you might be able to provide some assistance as I gather the historical material necessary to authenticate the experience of our soldiers during that war.

I am particularly interested in speaking with you because the soldiers in my story are members of the Lake Superior Regiment. I have already conducted considerable research into the regiment's involvement in the Normandy fighting. I have purchased your father's excellent book not once, but twice. I provided one of my copies to a veteran of the LSR that I met earlier this year, and he absolutely loved it.

He served in the mortar platoon, support company, and while he didn't know your father during the war, he recalls contemporaneously hearing about the incident that was mentioned in your father's book, when a drunken comrade pointed a weapon at your father. He subsequently met your father post-war at various events for the veterans of the regiment, including a trip overseas. He has high praise for your father.

I have spoken with Richard Diem on several occasions, and he has been very helpful. I would be very grateful if you could spare some time for a phone call so I can ask you about some research and archival avenues I'd like to explore.

Thanks very much for your time...

Mike Harwood