View Single Post
Old 17-06-18, 15:13

This is a fascinating thread to me, especially since I just returned from a trip in Europe walking in my relatives shoes that served in both ww1 and ww2. I found the Dutch people very friendly, and bumped into a local near the Arnhem bridge one day; I explained that my great uncle was an aide to General Foulkes and went through both Italy and Holland with him. His name is Jan Prins and he kindly offered to spend a day with me later in my trip and show me some less know ww2 sites that still exist around Arnhem. He provided lunch and gave me a great tour!
I found a map of Holland in my great uncles papers after he died that showed where 1 corps had gone through Holland with dates so I made a point of following the same route; which is why I was in Arnhem.
The best part by far for me was the hotel de Hewald in Wageningen, the famous capitulation room. My great uncle talked about being in the room on May 5th when Blaskowitz surrendered to Foulkes on his death bed, and it was eerie to go into the bar and stand exactly where he was on May 5, 1945. The staff at the hotel were great when they found out why I was there and our lunch was discounted and our drinks were free; it was awesome to have a beer at the bar and toast uncle Mac!
Anyway, a recent experience I had over there and I found the locals very friendly and knowledgeable about the Canadians that liberated them.