View Single Post
Old 18-07-12, 06:56
VMVC

Default CMP Ford Flathead/Sidevalve V8 oil filters

I am going to use the original bypass oil filter on my Ford F15A CMP. I feel some filtration is better than no filtration at all. Not being a hot rodder (or intending to use the truck in the dusty outback) I do not see the need to modify it to a full flow type as is often done- most early civillian Flathead engines didn't have filters anyway. While researching replacement elements for it I found some peculiarities. The ID of the cannister is 4.125". As per the photo of a sample NOS element the dimensions are 3.813" OD x 5.50" long. The closest match I could find for a bypass element was a WIX 51001 which is listed for 60-61 GMC's and is 3.72" OD x 5.50" long.
The WIX 51006 is the one quoted for the flathead V8 and is 4.09" OD x 5.00" long (1/2" shorter). It also seems many filter elements listed for the 40's flatheads have a greater diameter than 4.125" and therefore will not fit, such as Fram C4, OD 4.20" and Purolator L30034, OD 4.21". They often are only 5.00" long too.
The cannister is a different design too, to most US Flathead engine filters, It has female threads on the lid retaining nut as opposed to a male retaining screw on US engines.
This is more for fellow Australian restorers, but I have found the WIX 51001 is not available here but the 51006 is- at a price. I am using a Fleetguard LF510 which is listed for the Flathead V8, and is 3.97" OD x 4.87" long and is available here. Anyone in Australia know of any other elements that fit?
Questions for our Canadian restorers: On the remains of the decal on the cannister it read: "Ford Oil Conditioner" "Made Expressly for Ford Motor Company Canada"
Then it looks like "Pres.....something. Prestolite maybe? Does anyone make decals for Ford Canada Flathead engines?
My original air cleaner servicing decal also says "Made in Canada"
All decals sold by Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, etc, are for US engines and say "Made in USA"
Attached Thumbnails
oil cannister.jpg   comparison.jpg   NOS element.jpg   Fleetguard LF510.jpg   decal-cannister.jpg  

Jacques Reed