View Single Post
Old 28-04-20, 13:04
MLU Administrator

Default Pondering on the right chassis and sheet metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
I have most of the drive train components, fresh rebuilt engine, spare tranny, plenty of rear ends to choose from and the following chassis..

A fully restored 1937 Chev one ton frame, brakes, linings, bearings all done sitting on original 16 inch Chev truck frame.... car style rims with drop center and a car type brake system........ a 1940 Chev cab would fit beautifully but it is a 1937 One ton GE model, 122 1/4 wheel base with 14" in. brake drums .... so slightly longer. The Good Year diamond threads all agri. weather tires would fit nicely.

I also have a 1940 1533 1.5 ton truck with cab ( long box is shot) but with complete drive train that would need a total overhaul....with enclosed driveshaft tube........ now this has the proper size wheel base......currently shod on 7.50 balloon 20 inch tire/rims that could be replaced with the axles from the spare C15 and that would allow me to use readily available CMP rims and fully mounted set of 900x 16 Michelin tires......

The I also have a 1942 Maple Leaf 2 ton complete frame/power train that could be made into the Canadain/Windsor made LRDG.....
...and finally access to a 1942?? complete frame with CMP shock absorber and factory frame flat steel plate reinforcement attached.

So pondering is an issue.......
I would applaud it if you'd set out to make a replica of the Indian Pattern Chevrolet 1311X3. As none exist (except for the bare bones left in the North African desert), it is infinitely rarer than the 1533X2 which has been replicated many times in every major time zone.

Plus the 1311X3 is a unique mix of US, Canadian and other Commonwealth bits ‘n bobs. Of a handy size, it would be easy to drive, work on and store in a container at the Hammond Barn.

Two topics need researching, which is what MLU Forum is for:

1) Chassis: I am no expert on Chevrolets but going by the info available here, in Bart Vanderveen’s books and the sites listed below, here’s what I found:
  1. Model 1311 denotes a Chevrolet Commercial 1/2-Ton Chassis with flat-face cowl.
  2. The X3 suffix denotes 'INDIA CKD', i.e. export to India in Completely Knocked Down form, in this case a chassis with flat face cowl.
  3. In Wheels & Tracks HMVF Directory Bart Vanderveen writes India imported 1939 and later Canadian ½-ton chassis with right-hand drive, which were assembled and bodied in India.
  4. David Hayward listed supply contract S/M 2238, which was for 1,200 ea. 15-cwt 4x2 115” W.B. Chevrolets (most likely our 1941 model 1311X3).
  5. So, the 1311X3 was assembled in India from 1939 and later chassis, which would include:
    • 1939 Model JC and 1940 Model KC with 113-1/2” w.b. and (virtually) identical front end
    • 1941 Model AK with 115” w.b. with the later “waterfall” style front end (model 1941-1946)
> From your stock of Chevrolet parts, could you piece one of these together?

2) Body: I have some more pics of the surviving body coming up, stay tuned.

Sources (accessed 28-apr-2020):
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/index.htm
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-...tion-kits.html
https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/i...ies/index.html