View Single Post
Old 25-01-15, 15:50
carrier mech

I have been meaning to start a thread on the tow cables for a while now. There are two diameters of cable found. The thicker one is for carriers, and a thinner one for the CMPs. Otherwise both are the same length (8 feet) and construction. I have a few of both. Seems to me the carrier is 5/8 rope, while the CMP is 1/2 inch.

Brian Asbury has the NOS carrier cables, but does not have the chain shackles, chains or hooks.

Derk Derin and I found a pile of the chains at a surplus store in Alberta. I still have enough from that purchase for the 4 or 5 cables that i have spare. All of them are marked DC45 and some have the broad arrow on them.

I only have one shackle (4 are needed for a chain assembly), and it is also marked DC, but this one is 44 dated. I have been keeping an eye for more of the DC marked shackles, but none have surfaced yet.

The large hook seems to be marked with X-1142-2. They are quite recognizable by the very round diameter of the cast hook. I have found a few of them at local farm auctions, so they are out there in the civilian world.

Last edited by rob love; 25-01-15 at 15:56.