View Single Post
Old 17-05-17, 10:26

The old girls been finished for a few months now, that is apart from some proper windscreen frames, as I cant find the right profile steel. I have just been waiting for the weather to improve to take it for a test drive and the big day came about 2 weeks ago. I drove it for about 100 yards and lost all drive, so I put it in 4 wheel drive and crept home. Now, although I had stripped the rear axle down and replaced all the seals and bearings, I only gave the half shaft a cursory glance, they seemed ok so leave alone. It transpires that the long shaft had previously snapped and been repaired, or more correctly bodged, I suspect in order to sell. I have searched high and low for a shaft in the UK and the EU with no luck and I have to admit, that although the likely hood of me ever breaking another one is very slim, not having available spares for the future concerns me. So, I have taken the plunge and I am having new two part half shafts made in the UK for both sides. These will consist of the shaft and a separate splined driving flange. Unfortunately but predictably, the flange will have to be thicker than the original and I will make an end cap to replicate the look of the original but its better than not being able to use the vehicle. Its will be about 8 weeks before they are ready so I will let you know what happens.

The company manufacturing the parts, if anyone is interested, is Rakeway Engineering in Cheadle Staffordshire. They make parts for competition 4x4 vehicles and apparently have a very good reputation for quality, from what I saw the components that they make look very good.

Other than that and a few adjustments all went well.... ha ha.

I have realised that I haven't posted any pictures of the finished vehicle with its new tyres, an error that I will correct in the near future.

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03333.jpg   DSC03334.jpg  
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1967 Ural K750 sidecar outfit
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
1943 Chevrolet CMP8A HUP?
194? Bedford QL