View Single Post
Old 08-01-18, 18:32

It's worth noting that Bob's C15A had seen use as a tow truck in a previous life and as a result had been retrofitted with a complete two speed transfer case with winch and had both the driveline and wheel emergency brake setups in place when Bob got it. I mention this as it could raise doubt about whether any old C15A transfer case can be retrofitted with the driveline emergency brake.

Comparing the C8A and C15A parts books shows 5 different part numbers for C8A transfer case assemblies. The first 3 are common to the C15A (which only lists 3 different assemblies) so I think it is fair to assume that the single speed case assemblies used on C15A and C8A with rear wheel emergency brakes are interchangeable. I have retrofitted a driveline emergency brake to the single speed transfer case on my C15A without any significant difficulty. I think that all single speed cases can be fitted with the driveline brake as the C8A parts book only gives one set of part numbers for the transfer case housing, regardless of the brake setup used. The only minor issue was that I found very little clearance for the actuating rod, but it does work. Bob is correct that the "Bracket, Propeller Shaft Emergency Brake Anchor" does require shimming as it is attached to the transfer case. The shims are factory parts, coming in 0.003, 0.005 and 0.010 inch thicknesses. Standard shim stock is just fine - no need to find multiple cases to rob for factory shims. The shimming procedure is in the maintenance manual.