View Single Post
Old 18-12-06, 21:25
former Resident Historian

Default Clarification

The big order was for 1940 Models, and I have just looked up printed photos of military trucks in Egypt in the 1944 book by GM Overseas Operations. The grille looks to me to be 1940. I should add that studying photos of those plus Egyptian Government order trucks in GENERAL MOTORS WORLD February 1940 shows that neither the '39 or '40 Models assembled in Alexandria had sidelights! Perhaps they were going to get smashed? So the sidelights may be a red herring. I have also found a photo of a '39 or '40 without sidelights that was on this forum..the top of the grille is not clear to differentiate...deep top grille is '39, narrow is '40.

In addition to 1939 and 1940 Models there were also 1938 Models used by the WD in Egypt and Trans-Jordan, etc. So I entirely agree with you but my impression is that these are 1940 Models. As these have sidelights, I suggest that they are to S/M 2005..but there is a qualification here...they were officially "160-inch" wheelbase [158 actually] and these trucks seem to be 158? The 1939 Models that I have seen in photos were the shorter wheelbase. The WA order mentioned previously was the shorter wheelbase so I have just realised that these vehicles seem to be from a different batch! I therefore suggest that these are Canadian '40 Model 1543 CC60L unless I am wrong on wheelbases again!