View Single Post
Old 24-02-05, 00:13
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: 3" Mortar Carrier

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Johns
the ribbing that goes on between Aussies and Kiwis is always in good fun, I spent 7 of my best years in Newcastle NSW and probably have more Aussie friends than I do Kiwi ones.
At the end of the day the bond we have as nations forged all those years ago in Turkey is as strong today as it was then.
Kiwis and Aussies do get on great. You're right about the strong ANZAC bond. However, it pays an Aussie not to mention underarm bowling, Rugby, the number 6, or the Topp Twins, or why Sam Neill, Russel Crowe, or the Finn Brothers should be regarded as Aussies. I don't know why everyone asks if I come from Orsetraaaaaya. What a dag, eh?

Quote:
Nigel
There is some evidence my carrier was possibly with NZ 3rd Division which went to the islands in 1943, Guadalcanal and Solomons, but I've yet to prove it.
The Divisional sign for the 3rd NZ Div was a Kiwi, which was later re-used by the Royal NZ Regiment from the '50s. Could your Mortar Carrier have still been in '50s or '60s service with RNZR also?

Quote:
Nigel
The NZ govt from 1939 took delivery 6 Bren Carriers, 54 Universal Carriers, 111 Mortar Carriers, one each Australian LP1 and LP2 and 21 Loyd Carriers. Note this list my be slightly inaccurate. When you say my Mortar Carrier is a No.1 MkII, does the No.1 mean Mk1?

regards
Brian
Did NZ take delivery of the UC's and Mortar Carriers in North Africa and Italy, or were they delivered to NZ? In addition to these imports, Jeff Plowman has said "There were a total of 45 LP1, 315 LP2 and 855 LP2A carriers produced in New Zealand."
The 6 Brens were actually "Carrier, Bren, No2 Mk1" of 1938 build.

Last edited by Tony Smith; 24-02-05 at 00:21.