View Single Post
Old 24-02-05, 08:13

Post 3" Mortar Carrier

Quote:
The Divisional sign for the 3rd NZ Div was a Kiwi, which was later re-used by the Royal NZ Regiment from the '50s. Could your Mortar Carrier have still been in '50s or '60s service with RNZR also?

Tony
My carrier was purchased privately in 1948, I believe the NZ army sold all or most of there riveted carriers during 1946

Quote:
Did NZ take delivery of the UC's and Mortar Carriers in North Africa and Italy, or were they delivered to NZ? In addition to these imports, Jeff Plowman has said "There were a total of 45 LP1, 315 LP2 and 855 LP2A carriers produced in New Zealand."
The 6 Brens were actually "Carrier, Bren, No2 Mk1" of 1938 build.

All the imported carriers arrived here as far as I know, I don't think the NZ army transported carriers anywhere overseas apart from the Island operations later in the war. But I'm not an expert on this subject, Jeff is.

Quote:
The No.1 donates the engine fitted on the original machine. My Carrier correct nomenclature is Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*. The No.3 stands for the Ford Canadian V8 C01UC-6097 ANH. Your No.1 stands for the British made Ford V8 79E-6004 CS or DS. The CS is fitted with American electrical equipment and the DS is fitted with Lucas electrical equipment. British spark plugs fitted should be 18mm (American and Canadian were 14mm) I knew we were brighter sparks!!!!

Is this anorack stuff or what? You'll all be heads down, bum in the air inspecting those plugs I bet!!!

Nigel

Nigel
Thanks for the info, now I have to look for a British V8, it took me all this time to find a Canadian 85hp model, what does one look for when looking for a British model.

regards
Brian