View Single Post
Old 21-12-19, 23:49
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
Finally I found the specimens I had my replicas based on.

I have no expertise in this subject, I throw myself to the learned ones here.

What I can say is what I see or dont.

I picked these two up a long time ago, over 20 years ago in the UK and they followed me home, don't ask.

What I am showing you is what I have and not neccesarily military issue rounds more rounds that fit, so that may be the reason that these cartridges are different and lack all the exterior markings of others.

I find it interesting that the distinctive rolling marks in the end of the cardboard are gone in the spent round.

Over to you all for examination and comment
"James Pain & Sons of 9, St Mary Axe, London, EC3" Company founded 1850, Firework & ships' signal makers of Mitcham.

1960 - Acquired by Bryant & May.
1964 - amalgamated with Waeco as Pains-Wessex and production moved to Salisbury.
By 1985 was owned by Allegheny International.
1986 Chemring owned them.
Currently owned by Wescom.

So it's a pre-1964 (and probably commercial) signal cartridge, with a rolled crimp like a traditional shotgun cartridge.

I think the cartridge length depends on the number of stars it contains. The standard military sizes were 1-inch and 1.5 inch diameter (and I think are now obsolete, being replaced by 26.5mm). Early cartridges may have been full length brass cases (like early shotgun cartridges), then cardboard with a brass head up to probably the late 1960s and drawn aluminium ones after that. The modern 26.5mm 'Comet' ones seem to be an all-plastic casing.

The Very pistols are illegal to possess in the U.K., being prohibited under section 5 (pistol or short-barreled shotgun) of the Firearms Act.

These days everyone has apparently moved to single-use launchers for distress flares.

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...y/flare-pistol may be of interest.

Chris.