View Single Post
Old 04-08-20, 23:39
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Any comments on the comparison of the Antenna Support, Aluminim, ZA CAN6000, PC 82495 C224 and the much heavier Base, Aerial Assy. Both have same hole sizes so can be used with the 20’ and 34’ telescoping antenna masts?
I can make a few comments, starting with "for some bizarre reason the part numbers on the ceramic base are lower than those on the phenolic one".

It's possible that it wasn't considered 'soldier proof', or that there were production difficulties, so they went with the repairable (you can unbolt and replace the moulded insulator if required).

It's also the direct ancestor of the insulator for the post-WW2 Mast, Telescopic, 27-FT (and mostly interchangeable with that - it will fit the later ground spike but not vice versa because the 27-ft mast insulator has a solid peg to fit a socket, not a tube).

The 27-ft mast (RACAL MA638, I think) is clearly a redesign of the Canadian 20/34-FT mast set. (Without the bulky pipe unions used in the original, and Terylene instead of cotton stays.)

I wonder if that was issued with the Canadian WS52, or if there was a different 'low loss' ceramic base insulator issued during WW2.

RACAL took over "Modern Antennas", hence the "MA" codes - the 27-FT Larkspur mast insulator is MA 638/31 or ZA.55466 (it will have an NSN as well, of course).

Best regards,

Chris.