Thread: ANZAC or Anzac?
View Single Post
Old 28-04-14, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
what is the 'proper' way to write it these days: ANZAC or Anzac?
It all depends Mike - do you want to be politically correct, or do you want to be historically and grammatically correct? If you want to be politically correct, then you need to forget about history and grammar and jump on board with ANZAC. AWM and RSL have already switched to ANZAC, and several State governments have now rewritten their laws to ANZAC, and it's being taught to kids in school. On the other hand if you want to be a stick in the mud and insist on observing outdated notions like Anzac tradition and English grammar, then you can only use ANZAC as an acronym. That is, when referring specifically to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps itself, as an army formation. If you want to use the word, you need to spell it Anzac, with a capital A, because it's a proper noun. Of course, proper nouns can be used as adjectival nouns, otherwise known as nounal adjuncts, for example Anzac Day. In this case 'day' is capitalized, because it's being used as a proper noun, in a title, rather than a common noun as in 'next day'. As opposed to Anzac biscuit, which we don't spell Anzac Biscuit. Or God forbid, ANZAC biscuit. Somehow the AFP's "hallowed acronym" doesn't look so hallowed as a biscuit.

Each to his own of course, but personally I'll be sticking to Anzac for the word, as per century of usage by Anzacs themselves, and as per Oxford Dictionary, and as per 1921 Federal Regulations, which thankfully remain in force today: These Regulations may be cited as the Protection of Word 'Anzac' Regulations. No person shall, without the authority of the Minister, proof whereof shall lie upon the person accused, assume or use the word 'Anzac' or any word resembling the word 'Anzac' in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession or in connexion with any entertainment or any lottery or art union etc. etc. etc.

My sincerest apologies to any New Zealanders who may feel slighted by the lower case NZ, but one of the things the Anzacs fought and died for was the English language, so I feel some obligation to uphold it as they have done for the past century. This is one word in the English language that belongs to them, and I am not at liberty to tamper with it, even in the interests of trans-Tasman relations. If we have some gripe across the ditch then let's address it constructively, without engaging in semantics over the word given to us to symbolize this brotherhood by those who forged it the first place. It was good enough for them for a century so how can it not be good enough for us?