Thread: ANZAC or Anzac?
View Single Post
Old 29-04-14, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Looks like Unibic were told to be politically, rather than historically, correct.
Yes, they have to follow RSL policy, just like AWM had to follow Gower's policy. Unlike the editor however there'd be no need for bullying, as it's very much in Unibic's commercial interests to secure RSL endorsement.

As you say Mike they're very nice bikkies, I buy them occasionally and I have four of the commemorative biscuit tins you mention. One serves as my regular biscuit tin, usually stocked with their competitor's gingernuts! Another two have been pensioned off into the garage, where they contain my drill bits and taps and dies. Your post prompted me to examine the undersides, which I found quite revealing. The 2008 tin depicts the Australian Light Horse, and the underside includes the following text:

THE RSL STORY
Since 1916, the RSL has provided assistance in many forms for members, both past and present, of the Australian Defence Forces and their families, providing such benefits as housing, food, clothing and professional support.
In addition, the RSL supports the broader Australian community in areas such as sport sponsorship, education and fundraising for many community projects.
The RSL and UNIBIC are proud to offer you this product. Each purchase of this Limited Edition Tin, will directly assist the RSL in continuing their great community work.
If you would like to learn more about the activities of the RSL, please contact your local branch.

I note with amusement that Unibic helped themselves to capital letters that year, even for the tin! This practice had ceased by 2011 when their tin commemorated 100 years of the RAN, but there was an interesting new inclusion:

THE RSL AND RNZRSA STORY
Since 1916, Australia's RSL and New Zealand's RNZRSA have provided assistance in many forms for members, both past and present, of the Australian and New Zealand Defences Forces and their families, providing such benefits as housing, food, clothing and professional support.
In addition, the RSL and RNZRSA support the broader Australian and New Zealand communities in areas such as sport membership, education and fundraising for many community projects.
The RSL, RNZRSA and Unibic, are proud to offer you this product. Each purchase of this limited edition tin will directly assist the RSL and RNZRSA in continuing their great community work.
If you would like to learn more about the activities of the RSL or the RNZRSA, please contact your local branch.

All very nice and inclusive, but by 2013 when the tin commemorated Balikpapan, the Kiwis had been banished! This prompted me to trot down to the supermarket and see what happened this year, and while the tins are all sold out the bikkies are conveniently on special so I bought a packet. Here's what the blurb says:

Since 1916 the RSL has assisted former and current members of Australia's armed forces, their families and dependants. This takes many forms including the provision of care packs to those deployed in harm's way, assisting those wounded in action and caring for elderly veterans and widows.
The RSL is also active in the wider community in projects which help educate the young, foster youth development and enrich the lives of the disabled and others in need.
In buying Unibic ANZAC Biscuits you are directly assisting the RSL in its endeavours.

So much for the Anzac biscuit brotherhood - a very brief affair indeed!